A World leader in advanced plasma processes

Being commercialized in multiple applications around the world including plasma torches, Industrial 3D printing powders, aluminum & zinc dross recovery, waste management and defence - 4 US aircraft carriers

Free
Message: Peter : The government of Quebec invests green energy for aluminum industry

Hello Peter,

If this has been addressed before, I apologize and I'll look for the relevant posts.

As I'm sure you know, Rio Tinto and Alcoa are working with a company called Elysis, headquartered in Montreal, that produces "green" aluminum via a smelting process that generates oxygen rather than CO2.  

There's an article in the Journal de Québec and Journal de Montréal this morning, which talks about the financial implication of the Quebec government in this project.  Elysis is currently testing industrial prototypes at the Rio Tinto plant in Alma, Saguenay, to demonstrate commercial effectiveness.  If all goes well, commercial scale use is expected to begin in 2024.

The article also says that Apple is already using Elysis' clean aluminum in the fabrication of the MacBook, and that the company has signed a partnership with Anheuser-Busch for the production of beer cans.

Could Elysis become a competitor of Pyro's Drosrite offering?  Forgive my ignorance, but not being an engineer, I don't know whether producing "green/oxygen" aluminum means that no dross is produced, hence no need to process the dross, hence no need for Drosrite.

I know you're really busy, but I hope you'll find a moment to answer my question.

Thanks,

Snowdrift

New Message
Please login to post a reply