Welcome To The Questerre Energy HUB On AGORACOM

(Edit this message through the "fast facts" section)

Free

http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/reader-comments/Despite+report+questions+shale+still+unanswered/4413585/story.html

----The BAPE report says that, in order to evaluate potential environmental impacts and find solutions to possible problems for the study, it would be necessary to do some drilling, "including hydraulic fracturing."

The other commitment in the press release is to allow "controlled" shale-gas development to continue, under temporary rules to be adopted soon and with new drilling authorized, although "only for the needs of the development of scientific knowledge" for the study.

The BAPE report says that during the study, fracking should be authorized only as required by the study, not for exploration purposes.

But Arcand told the news conference that fracking will be allowed at the 31 shale-gas wells already drilled, including 13 at which fracking has not yet occurred.

So, whether it's for scientific or commercial purposes, shale-gas drilling and fracking will continue, though perhaps on a smaller scale.

The Gazette has always been a basher of shale, not a single two sided story in 7 months, but nonetheless they present the facts.

I am starting to wondering if people even knew of the 2014 start date, and the low level of activity anyway. I mean even if we were talking about 13 frac jobs this year, that isn't even a drop in the bucket when comparing it to pretty much every other shale jurisdiction. Will be interesting to see how the study and industry will move forward.

There is quite a bit that is vague in the BAPE report, but it will ultimately be up to the government to give the details on how to proceed. Jason from QEC told me that the interim regulations to come out will be important in moving forward!

Rocco

New Message
Please login to post a reply