Free

The Daily Transcript congratulates Top Attorneys 2008

This is the culmination of a lengthy peer voting process that asked San Diego County lawyers to name those among their peers who were worthy of recognition. Top Attorneys 2008 represents and pays tribute to San Diego County's legal cream of the crop

2008 Top Attorney Winner

James Y.C. Sze

Duane Morris LLP

Education

Law School/Year: University of San Diego, 1999

Other Graduate School/Year: University of California, San Diego, 1994

College/Year: University of California at Berkeley, 1991

Bar Admissions

California; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern, Central and Eastern Districts of California; U.S. District Courts for the Eastern Districts of Texas

Practice Areas

Intellectual Property; Patent, Trademark & Copyright

Major Cases

In my first patent litigation, I represented a San Diego-based Fortune 500 telecom company in a patent litigation with a major cell phone manufacturer. Many litigations later, including a “fast track” patent trial at the International Trade Commission in Washington, D.C. (related to LCD monitor controllers), I still represent California companies. Today, I represent the world’s largest credit card company, and enforce a patent portfolio for a San Diego company that created the world’s first digital recorder with removable flash memory.

Having enforced patents that I wrote, my litigation experience better allows me to apply IP law as a business tool. Consequently, some of the patents I have written and prosecuted have sold or licensed for seven figures.

Professional Background

I am a former Qualcomm engineer with a background in electrical engineering, computer science and materials science engineering.

Today, my practice is a mix of patent prosecution and litigation. I focus on representing clients in high-tech industries, tailoring intellectual property strategies based on corporate needs. My practice includes patent portfolio management, identifying technology for IP protection, auditing in-house intellectual property management practices and patent prosecution/litigation, particularly in electrical and computer-related patents.

Personal Affiliations

I am current board member and a past-president of the Berkeley Engineering Alumni Society of Southern California, and a loyal UC Berkeley alumnus.

New Message
Please login to post a reply