Liberty Star Uranium & Metals Corp.

Combining Classic Mineral Exploration with State of the Art Technology

Free
Jul 13, 2017 06:15PM

Photo's and their captions in the Reuter's version - not the link I provided - do appear more biased, but I think it about as fair as one can expect from the press these days. 

Here's another, albiet biased on the other side, version of the proposed mining method and it's impacts.  Good reading for those interested in this story, and the evolving technology surrounding it.

https://systemstechnologies.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/resolution-copper-mine-superior-arizona/

By the way, the Apache Leap area is a world class rock climbing destination.  It includes areas for beginners, freestylers, and technical climbers. 

Until about 7 years ago, Arizona's rock climbing community was against the mine, because it was thought that the climbing areas, almost adjacent to Oak Flat, would be closed to them forever.  At the urging of a friend who was then a leader among the state's rock climbers, I was able to arrange a meeting between them and Resolution (via mutual friends in Canadian mining), which led to the climbers dropping their opposition to the mine.

What happened?  Resolution's concern was that rock falls could risk injury or death in the area of underground blast zones.  Solution:  Underground blasting events would be published far in advance, and the area would be closed to climbing only on blasting days (with much of that concentrated in summer when few climbers want to deal with the heat there anyway). 

It's given that Apache Leap is not going to be swallowed by subsidence from block/panel caving.  But as is in the nature of these things, no amount of evidence to the contrary will be enough for some people.

FWIW

Oh, and by the way, the last I heard, the portal for the mine would not be where the headframes are pictured, adacent to Oak Flat and Apache Leap.  It would be several miles away at Pinto Valley, almost exactly where the waste is expected to be dumped in abandoned open pits, restoring the landscape near Globe, Arizona.

VP

New Message
Please login to post a reply