Free

I should have included at least one more snipet.  The one from Kieran Suckling ( kid you not, that is his name!) at the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD):

SUCKLING: ...New injunctions, new species listings and new bad press take a terrible toll on agency morale. When we stop the same timber sale three or four times running, the timber planners want to tear their hair out. They feel like their careers are being mocked and destroyed — and they are. So they become much more willing to play by our rules and at least get something done. Psychological warfare is a very underappreciated aspect of environmental campaigning.  
HCN:  Were you hindered by not having science degrees?
SUCKLING:  No. It was a key to our success. I think the professionalization of the environmental movement has injured it greatly. These kids get degrees in environmental conservation and wildlife management and come looking for jobs in the environmental movement. They've bought into resource management values and multiple use by the time they graduate. I'm more interested in hiring philosophers, linguists and poets. The core talent of a successful environmental activist is not science and law. It's campaigning instinct. That's not only not taught in the universities, it's discouraged. [emphasis added]

This is the anti-science, pro-propaganda and intimidation philosophy that industries like oil and gas, coal and timber have been dealing with for more than 30 years now, and it is the philosophy and tactics that Calaway says CBD is now bringing to bear to try to halt these two important lithium projects in Nevada.

My own comment:  The quotes from Suckling, above, illustrate in full measure why I have spent so much time in digging in to the Deep Green Resistance (DGR), Max Wilbert and Wil Falk.  They share much in common with the Center for Biological Diversity and as today's news report about the Biden Administration has shown us, it is this type of "Environmental Activist" group ( both the CBD and the DGR ) that has influenced the Biden Administration to placate them and decide to seek lithium raw supplies in countries outside the shores of the United States.  

There must be quite a few statements out there from the Biden Administration documenting this placation effort and I am hopeful that when one of the members of this Hub comes across any such documentation that he or she will take just a moment to post  that documentation here on this Hub for the rest of us to review. 

I would submit that the "Environmental Activists" activities as related to how they might affect LAC and the Nevada Lithium Thacker Pass Project have now moved from the back burner to front and center.  JMO on the matter, but at the moment it looks like the ball is in their court.

A quick reminder of the Vision of the Deep Green Resistance:

Our Vision

A world where biodiversity is rising, dead zones are shrinking, and land-based cultures grounded in human rights and a sustainable relationship with the planet arise and flourish.

In short: a world without industrial civilization.

As for the Center for Biological Diversity, not everyone shares a noble opinion of the CBD:

A Ratty Conversation with the Center for Biological Diversity | American Council on Science and Health (acsh.org)

The book by J.P.S. Brown titled:  Chilton Vs. The Center For Biological Diversity: Truth Rides A Cowhorse

goes into a criticism of the techniques used by CBD in some detail.  One comment about the book was: "Now, finally a honest rancher who had the where with all to challenge CBD in court exposed how deceitful and crooked they are in reality. The ranchers, James and Sue Chilton, were awarded a total of $600,000 by a jury that heard the real facts in the case. The CBD tried to appeal as high as they could, but were not successful. In the end, CBD paid the Chiltons $100,000 in damages and $500,000 in punitive damage. The story goes through the day by day happenings in court."

In his 2005 book, The Limits of Civic Activism, University of Illinois-Urbana political science professor Robert Weissberg analyzed the impact of CBD and other organizations like it and found a much broader agenda:

Here lawsuits are ingeniously filed under the Endangered Species Act to add allegedly endangered species or protect existing ones. In 2001 the Fish and Wildlife Service was contesting some eighty suits on this matter, and an additional ninety were in the works. In short, a Herculean aim – eliminating all economic use of undeveloped land – was being accomplished via shrewd litigation on behalf of plants and animals!

Note:  Heavy type and italics were added in the last sentence by me, Okiedo, for emphasis.

Indeed, the CBD is all about lawsuits.  The sue, sue and sue again.  Seems that by one account they focus so much on suing that they failed to pay attention to the total of money that their litigous staff attorneys are collecting.  See this report below from the House Committee on Natural Resources going all the way back to 2012 by the then Ranking Member, Bruce Westerman:

DOJ Documents Confirm Center for Biological Diversity Received Millions in Taxpayer Funds from ESA-Related Lawsuits - Committee on Natural Resources Republican Office (house.gov)

New Message
Please login to post a reply