Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free

Jul 03, 2007 05:30AM

Animals are often windows into our own souls, mirroring our human life condition but on that somewhat faster scale.

I've never been much of a dog person, maybe tolerate cats a bit more but not on a greatly measurable basis. My wife's gaga over animals so with that,  I remain trapped in my house for the duration - along with 2 dogs, 1 cat and 4 ginea pigs - surprisingly, the ginea pigs are the least distasteful of the lot - minimal noise, minimal mess, minimal furniture/carpet damage, etc...you get the drift.

Not that it matters because the house is shot altogether anyway from the kids and all the animals....different story.

As you can see. I'm a bit of a hardass when it comes to animals. Not that I punt them at every opportunity, but just not able to dish out alot of love.

But not to fret, my wife overcompensates by over indulging them (especially the dogs) with fawning and cutesie talk...makes my eyes roll. At least she doesn't dress them, because those are grounds.....

Well, one of the dogs is rounding the bend, nearing the finish line, so to speak - Willard, the wire fox terrier. Average life span is 10, he's 11, so he's well into borrowed time status.

And you can see it every day: the incontinence, bad knees, poor eyesight, mental confusion, lack of energy, tumors, constant in and out of the house and the list goes on. I look into his glazed eyes and see what we all become - weakened, dependent, vulnerable and in need of care. So I toss him the good scraps in the house: the steaks, half-eaten tacos (Taco Bell are a favorite!) and the grilled cheese bits. Good for him?...who cares. He's made it this far, so I give him these little "lifetime Achivement" awards.

And maybe a little pat on the side or two when he can make it up to sit by me on the couch...

Yes Willard, I see where you're going and I'm sorry for you...

Regards

New Message
Please login to post a reply