HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

I'm not sure if all of you have read the ammendend bill 191.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/bills/bills-files/39_Parliament/Session2/b191rep2.pdf

I'm reading stuff like,
"the minister responsible for the administration of the act is required to have a Far North Strategy prepared, based on the advice, if any, provided by a joint body that is comprised in equal numbers of persons who are members of First Nations and persons who are officials in the government of Ontario."

50% First Nations? Anyone see anything unfair about that? Am I missing something?

I have read this several times and perhaps ...I'm not getting it.

I see nothing "unfair in what I have read."

There's nothing I hate more in this world than criticism without fact. I really have a strong dislike for "poor media reporting".

For instance: See this article below as seen in the Toronto Sun, written by Christina Blizzard. I have this for Christina. "Have you read bill 191 ???"

If so, what do you see wrong with it? What would you like changed? Please reference the changes you feel are necessary beside the specific sentence you do not agree with.

Her, very poorly researched article is below. I would have asked the following from Chief Stan Beardy, Tim Hudak, Harold Wilson, "show me what it is you don't like. Which sentence bothers you? I would have a copy of Bill 191 in my hand and I would look each one in the eye. Show me. Point out what is bothering you. Rather than criticize, offer constructive changes to the act you would like to see. Show me which sentence is unfair to you. I want to state your obvious anger towards Bill 191 but as a reporter I need to have facts.

You are angry. Why are you angry? Tell me in detail what makes you angry. How can you be made to feel less angry.

Printing words like: "Conservative leader Tim Hudak says he will scrap the Far North Act if he becomes premier." How about, really Tim? And what changes would you make to the act. I have it right here in my hands. What do you see unfair about it Tim? Show me the offensive sentence...I have the act here ....in my hands....let me get my highlighter.

Below is Christina's poorly written, poorly detailed, poorly researched drivel that appeared in the Toronto Sun today. She kindly left her email: christina.blizzard@sunmedia.ca. By now I am sure you realize that Babjak1 will most certainly copy this post and forward it to Christina in it's original form.

Toronto Sun Thursday Sept. 23, 2010

The road to hell, they say, is paved with good intentions.

Similarly, it seems the highway to God’s country ends in a dead-end created by well-meaning but wrong-headed do-gooders.

Northern Ontario has spectacular landscapes, vast mineral riches, untold tourism potential and resilient, self-reliant folk.

While northerners don’t expect government hand-outs, they also don’t expect intrusive legislation from a remote provincial government in the south.

Yet that’s what’s happening with the Far North Act, which would put half the land north of the 51st parallel out of bounds for development. Worse, the government hasn’t said which 50% of land is off the table.

That uncertainty means mining companies are thinking twice before they invest in the north.

Said Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce President Harold Wilson: “The junior mining companies, when they are out raising funds to go up there and look for and explore and prospect for new mineral developments, find it hard to do that when everyone says it’s so up in the air there. If you find something, maybe you can’t do anything with it.”

Aboriginal groups are outraged by the lack of consultation.

“The Far North Act violates our treaties and disrespects our jurisdictions,” said Nishnawbe Aski Nation Grand Chief Stan Beardy. “When we signed the treaties with the Crown we were recognized as a nation, and a nation has land, people and a culture.”

He noted the meetings in the aboriginal communities were not done in native languages.

Beardy also pointed out aboriginal people have been in the north for thousands of years and have respected and protected the land.

“All we are saying is that if there is going to be resource development, we must be in a position to participate in the global economy. Participation to us means that there must be real jobs and training for my people. We must be able to capture the economic spin-offs and activity. We must be part of wealth creation.”

Conservative leader Tim Hudak says he will scrap the Far North Act if he becomes premier.

“Basically it will freeze 50% of the land north of the 51st parallel and put enormous obstacles in front of any kind of development project on the rest,” he said.

Developments such as the vast Ring of Fire mineral deposit in northwestern Ontario and the De Beers diamond mine at Attawapiskat would never have been developed if this act had been in place 20 years ago, Hudak said.

Natural Resources Minister Linda Jeffrey defended the bill.

She said it will provide communities “a voice in where development can occur. At the same time we are going to provide some environmental protection. At the end of the day, this is about making sure that there are jobs in the far north and we need to ensure that there are sustainable economic opportunities. At the same time, we need to protect the environment.”

She added simultaneous translation has been available in the aboriginal communities where she’s held consultations.

The bottom line is this bill will have a major impact on the fragile economy of the north and could have a devastating impact on development there.

The government needs to slow down and listen to what northerners are saying.

christina.blizzard@sunmedia.ca

New Message
Please login to post a reply