HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

I believe these are the latest comments from the province with respect to the terms of reference....from an article dated March 26...

"News of the deal came at the same time chiefs said they were told the province had set an April 1 deadline to make a decision on the terms of reference for Noront’s environmental assessment for another project, its proposed nickel mine in the Ring of Fire.

Chiefs said they need more time and help from experts to analyze the thousands of pages of documents involved.

Ontario’s Minister of Northern Development and Mines told CBC News on Thursday that there is no fixed timeline for the environmental assessment.

“I’m certainly not viewing this as one where there is an absolute deadline in place,” Michael Gravelle said. “I view it instead as one where it’s clear, certainly in discussions with the company, that there’s a need for them to move towards the next part of the process.”

The province is attempting to strike a balance between criticisms the project is not moving fast enough and the need to “do it right” with the support of First Nations, Gravelle said.

A spokesperson for Noront said the company “is working with First Nations and will continue to work with First Nations” in the Ring of Fire."

This came a day later....when Noront's CEO tried to meet with the FN....

"Alan Coutts was in Thunder Bay on Friday in hopes of meeting with Matawa chiefs regarding the announcement earlier this week of Noront now holding nearly 65 per cent of the Ring of Fire.

While he did not get to meet with the chiefs, he said the consultation process needs to be completely re-evaluated.

“I think what we have to think about is an entirely different business model as to how industry, First Nations and governments work together. This is certainly a rare opportunity to do that over a 50-year period,” Coutts said.

“I’m really excited and I think we have to sit down and have those conversations. Everything is on the table…We have to do this differently and it all starts with a principle based agreement.

Coutts added he is not sure when he will meet with the chiefs but is committed to engaging in meaningful dialogue."

Anything new? Not much news coverage lately.

New Message
Please login to post a reply