Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Oct 02, 2015 02:39PM
Oct 02, 2015 02:52PM
Oct 02, 2015 02:58PM
Oct 02, 2015 03:03PM

Robvanhooren: how does it add any value whatsoever?

what are you going to do about it?

Rob, I know your questions were not directed at me, but what I just did was to type one of Suresh's answers into the CC transcript. I find this particularly thrilling, because it describes the advantages of the POET VCSEL over traditional ones. (But perhaps it is just me being thrilled by technology, ha, ha.)

Read and enjoy:

33:28Question: What is the value of producing VCSEL on a six-inch wafer? How will your VCSEL product be superior to the current market?

33:37Answer: This is primarily about minimizing costs. 6” wafers establish a lower manufacturing cost base for our technology. Large wafer sizes are not necessarily required in the R&D phase, but they are clearly the right choice for manufacturing to drive a lower cost structure in a high-volume market segment. 6” manufacturing equipment also provides better manufacturing capabilities than older 3” or 4” equipment. The POET VCSEL itself is differentiated from a conventional VCSEL in three ways. The epitaxial thickness on the POET stack is substantially lower than commercially available VCSELs, thus lowering our cost structure. The integrated laser driver gives us the ability to integrate electronics with the VCSEL, reduces the bill of materials for a typical VCSEL product, and, third, our VCSELs emit light in a single mode we call single-mode lasing. And this extends the data reach in the data communications link. So we have three distinct advantages over the current market for VCSEL transceivers.

Oct 02, 2015 03:27PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply