Free
Message: Re: Fluoroborate Salts.... the new "Salt of the Earth" as applied to Lithium battery electrolytes?

I am not sure I agree with all of your conclusions, Pavel.  For one, Lithium Titanate has a higher energy density than NMC and for another, I don't think Lithium Iron Phosphate is an appropriate choice for EVs that have the goal of achieving long mileage between charges, but since that is not as much of a factor for EVs sold in Asia their preference is more in line with LFP batteries as opposed to NMC preference for the US and Europe markets.  So, maybe I should rephrase my opening statement and say that as applied to Asian markets for EVs, you are certainly correct in that LFP is the more popular and appropriate choice.  US markets are different and European markets are more probably a mixed bag, depending of course on how far the owner of the EV ordinarily drives.  

I have included a few links below for review of battery chemistry as it applies to all three types of lithium ion chemistry, however that should not take attention away from the advantages to be gained from SSB and from the future use of Fluoroborate Salts, even though that future may be quite a ways off.

LFP or NMC battery? (betterworldsolutions.eu)

NMC Battery Archives | BlogMech

I found this Green Biz 2019 article particularly interesting regarding the comparison and future predictions for EV useage of NMC vs LIP or LFP ( Lithium Iron Phsophate ) batteries:

Who will win the battery wars? | Greenbiz

The question of which is the "better battery" very much depends on the application of that batter chemistry.  What works best in a Energy Storage scenario may not fly for application in an Electric Vehicle scenario... as explained in this article from a commercial source about application in an Energy Storage situation:

Soltaro - The Advantages & Disadvantages of chemistry. NMC vs LFP

This one at least touches on LTO, Lithium Titanate batteries:

NMC, LFP, LTO. What’s the Difference? [The Battery Cycle #2] (sustainable-bus.com)

This article is geared more to a specific EV nitch, fork lifts, but it still has some general conclusions that are useful in the greater aspects of the EV field:

New Tests Prove: LFP Lithium Batteries Live Longer than NMC - OneCharge

Some interestig comments about recycling as related to NMC vs LFP batteries:

Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (LFP) Vs Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC) | (intelizon.com)

Finally, there is the "Gold Standard", Battery University:

BU-205: Types of Lithium-ion - Battery University

New Message
Please login to post a reply