Free
Message: Re: Fluoroborate Salts.... the new "Salt of the Earth" as applied to Lithium battery electrolytes?

Yes,  I have been a stockholder many years.  I have done what you are never supposed to do, accumulate, accumulate & accumulate.  After all you can't spend it all anyway.  So owning so many shares makes me biased. 

Dendrites are a side reaction in the cell.  Undesired as described in your article link.  I maintain side reactions are reduced by reducing the moisture in the cell during manufacture.  You reduce moisture by driving it off with heat.  The problem is the separater starts to shrink, pulling back from the edges, causing a short.  The solution is a ceramic separator that will take the heat.

From your second linked article. 

“If you want to get to practical operating conditions, I don't think there's any way to truly prevent dendrite growth,” he said. “But by controlling dendrite growth you can enable batteries that have long lifetimes and better safety.”

I found an old NMC cell specification sheet that said energy density was 162 Wh/KG

Cycle life 9000 at 100% DoD (Depth of Discharge)

PS:  I am still waiting on that perfect storm!

New Message
Please login to post a reply