Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free
Message: New Bar Codes Can Talk With Your Cellphone (old article but has relevant points)

Oct 16, 2008 04:29PM

Oct 16, 2008 05:08PM
Oct 16, 2008 05:36PM
Oct 16, 2008 06:13PM

Oct 16, 2008 06:18PM
Oct 17, 2008 09:53AM
Oct 17, 2008 10:17AM
Oct 17, 2008 10:23AM
Oct 17, 2008 10:48AM

Oct 17, 2008 10:53AM

Oct 17, 2008 12:01PM

Oct 17, 2008 12:53PM
Oct 17, 2008 01:38PM

Oct 17, 2008 03:29PM

Oct 17, 2008 03:54PM
Oct 17, 2008 04:57PM

“There are three things you tend to carry — your keys, your wallet and your phone,” said Rishad Tobaccowala, chief executive of Denuo, a unit of the Publicis Groupe that focuses on emerging and future technologies. “I can see something in advertising in one place, scan it with my phone and recall it later when I am shopping. Or, imagine, I can buy it using my phone.”

About a third of the 84 million households with cellphones in the United States have phones that have cameras on them, according to Forrester Research, and that number is expected to grow as consumers replace their phones. But few people with those phones have downloaded the software to read the codes.

In Japan, some highway billboards have codes large enough for passing motorists to read them with their phones. Hospitals put them on prescriptions, allowing pharmacies to instantly scan the medical information rather than read it. Supermarkets stick them on meat and egg packaging to give expiration dates and even the names of the farmers who produced them.

One of the most popular uses in Japan has been paperless airline tickets. About 10 percent of the people who take domestic flights of All Nippon Airways now use the codes on their cellphones instead of printed tickets.

Yasuko Nishigai, 22, used her cellphone recently to buy a ticket from Tokyo to the Japanese tropical island of Okinawa. To board her flight, she waved the code on her cellphone screen over a scanner.

“I didn’t use a single piece of paper, just my phone,” she said.

The codes are “a natural extension of print,” said Nina Link, the president of the Magazine Publishers Association. “How many times have you engaged with a magazine and you’ve seen something and you’ve said, ‘Boy, I’d really like to remember to get that information.’ And you have to remember to write down the URL.”

The new technology would allow phones to read the codes from computer screens, too. Commuters rushing out the door could scan Web sites on their computer screens with their phones to take the content with them. MySpace users could put a code on their personal pages, so that their friends can quickly transfer the profiles to their phones.

The technology would also allow advertisers to do something they could never effectively do before: monitor the impact of their ads in old media like magazines and billboards by measuring how often their codes are clicked.

In the Philippines, the Daily Philippines newspaper has run ads with the codes. In Britain, News Group Newspapers, the division of the News Corporation that includes newspapers like The Sun, is testing the codes along with some of its sports articles. Readers can scan the code in the newspaper and then see videos relating to the article. Similarly, Economie Matin, a magazine in France, is testing the codes.

In the United States last fall, the Canadian alternative rock band Barenaked Ladies placed the codes on concert posters. The publisher Prentice Hall is including the codes in a new marketing textbook for undergraduates so that they can get updates on case studies using the codes.

Executives at Verizon, AT&T and Sprint declined to say whether they were in discussions with the companies that make the code reading technology. Bar code companies said the carriers stood to benefit from the codes because they might encourage consumers to add Internet service plans to their accounts and spend more time on their phones.

The wireless companies have other options to help cellphones interact with the physical world. They could, for instance, adopt image recognition software, which would allow phones to recognize anything — a Coca-Cola can, for example — and deliver related messages. Or, text messaging, currently the most common way that advertisers interact with consumers on their phones, has many advertiser applications.

Advertisers have also experimented with Bluetooth wireless devices and radio frequency identification to beam messages from billboards to consumers’ cellphones, but those technologies are more expensive than the codes.

Even if the wireless companies adopt the bar codes, they will have several formats to choose from. The most widely used ones have names like Semacode, QR Code and Qode.

Getting consumers to use new technologies like these codes takes a lot of marketing by the carriers, said David Oberholzer, associate director of content programming at Verizon Wireless. He said Verizon is just starting to profit from the work it did to create interest in text messaging.

“The consumer needs a reason to do it,” said Jim Levinger, chief executive of Nextcode, a bar code company. “They don’t just wake up and say, ‘Hey, let’s go scan some bar codes.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/bu...

By Erik Hermansen, September 27, 2008

Some weeks ago, I was sitting in a downtown Seattle Starbucks, sipping my icy mocha, and thinking about cell phones scanning barcodes. And I actually heard voices talking about cell phones scanning barcodes. Not because I was crazy, but because, coincidentally, there were two strangers at a nearby table chatting about it.

http://ethicalspender.org/articles/p...

All it needs is a social network such as youtube or myspace to adopt tipMotion as its provisioner of choice and...

Be well

Oct 17, 2008 08:48PM

Oct 17, 2008 09:14PM
Oct 19, 2008 07:47AM

Oct 19, 2008 11:02AM

Oct 19, 2008 03:00PM

Oct 19, 2008 03:23PM
Oct 19, 2008 05:55PM

Oct 20, 2008 08:12AM
Oct 20, 2008 08:32AM

Oct 20, 2008 08:53AM

Oct 20, 2008 09:14AM